Monday, February 9, 2009

Trout, sink-tips, hex hatch, and spring on my mind



All of the above related, but not in any particular order there. Don't know if it's the weather or what, but I have trout on my mind. I guess it all started last week when I finally ordered up a couple Marble's trout knives for Andy and myself. I found them cheaper online, but ordering them from Andy at the Old AuSable Fly Shop gave me an excuse to give him a call and shoot the breeze with him about the goings on in the area. So along with ordering the knives I had him take and send me some photos of a nice old JW Young Beaudex reel, i'm still kickin the idea of spending the $80 on it, I don't really need it, I just want it. Along with all that we talked about some different shooting lines and sinking heads and sinking methods of fishing.

He got me tuned in on what I was looking for that would do for chasing chromers on the big waters of the Huron and Lower AuSable, along with doing the job for chasing kings come fall on the Betsie and Manistee. So I ended up ordering some frog hair gamma shooting line and Rio T-14 sinking head, I'm gonna chop the head into three sections, a 15ft a 10ft and a 5ft, that will give me a fair ammount of options with some loop to loop connections. Also when Ordering the lines, I also ordered me up a small chest pack to try out, seems to be the new thing, see if they're all they are talked up to be. I must say though, when the trout knives arrived, I was slightly disappointed to see that Marble's is no longer making a good part of their product in Gladstone anymore, and it had literally no out of the box edge on it, barely would've cut butter, but it's still cool nonetheless. I plan on getting out on the ice tomorrow with Jay, hopefully we catch some, then thursday's plan as of right now is to get down and try and chase some chrome on the Huron.

good luck out there, tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment